Tuesday 13 October 2009

Interview - Paul Heaton. Reform Creative



As the months are flying bye, it is now time to focus on the academical side of the degree. We have a choice to choose between a dissertation (8000 words) or a journal (5000 words and a 20 minute presentation). The two are completely different regarding content and style of writing but also, as the journal requires a presentation, the decision to choose the journal would involve my presenting skills be worked on to a slightly more serious, professional level. After comparing the two, I have decided to opt for the journal. The requirements for this particular piece of work will need a subject to research and find out more of. I chose to do the journal simply because I have always wanted to research the creative process designers go through to get the final, end idea.
I want to establish the emotions, ideas, strengths and weaknesses throughout the creative process and also base this on my own work and document it step by step leading up to my deadlines.

I recently arranged an interview with Paul Heaton from Reform Creative. We had a very in-depth conversation about the industry and what the elements of the creative process really are. I was fascinated to hear what Paul had to say on the subject and his methods of ideas and working on a brief helped my research for the journal a great deal.
Some of the responses I got were very useful. Paul made me feel very comfortable as always and seeing Rich and Chris again was great.

Paul explained when receiving a brief from a new client, it was vital to research other design agencies to see what work they are doing at the time as when making a pitch or designing something new for a client and produce an idea or artwork similar to a competitor, it can have a negative response to the chances of getting that particular job. Paul also explained when working with a new client, depending on how big they are, it is wise to research there website or any other source related to them as you then get an understanding of who they are, what there likes, dislikes and values are. Also, this helps you understand what type of character they have as this gives you an idea of what direction your thinking will go.

No comments: