Wednesday 6 May 2009

Pete Hammond









While I arrived in London on my visit, I was lucky enough to have a place to stay for the weekend. I have some friends who live in Dorking near Surry so as soon as they were happy for me to travel down, I was eager to arrange a portfolio visit with a studio near by. I made a few phone calls and contacted an agency called Phoenix. I spoke to a lady called Clare Metheven‏ who advised me that they were more of a freelance studio but I should get in contact with there former creative director Pete Hammond. Clare e mailed me his contact details so I decided to send an e mail asking for a possible visit. Pete got back to me after that weekend and was happy to spend some time with me. His studio was called FBH Incite. The website didn’t have a great deal of information regarding his work of background but I was more than happy to go down.

As I arrived at the studio, the location was in a series of other offices. This surprised me, as Music, who I had visited no to long ago, was located in an alley tucked away. As I introduced myself, Pete was happy to sit down with me and have an in detail talk about the industry and some vital pointers regarding portfolio’s, interviews and how the thinking process behind a brief is one of the most important things. Pete advised my description should be more in-depth so whoever is looking at my work, would not need to ask many questions. ‘’If you show your thinking skills at it’s strongest level, the Pearson reading it will notice this and understand the work more clearly’’.

Pete also explained how beneficial working for different agencies throughout your carer is useful as all studios work differently. He explained the more varied background you had regarding the different agency’s you have worked for shows you can adapt to the way to deal with briefs and clients. He also pointed out this would make the possibilities of starting your own studio out a success as you would seen the flaws in the industry.
We had a brief talk over pitching and what you do if you don’t get the job. Pete explained to be confidant in your work, as you need to be to survive in the industry.

Being confidant in your work will keep you motivated and give you the desire you need to carry on. A few other pointers were not to give your ideas out straight away. Always take the time given on the brief as having something you know will work and taking it to the client earlier than the deadline may give them the impression of little effort. Pete was happy for me to keep in touch and I was very grateful for his time. I feel his advice was rewarding and definitely helpful. He was happy with my work.

No comments: