Thursday 18 June 2009

Reform Creative











In April, I decided to send an e -mail to local Manchester based Graphic Design studio Reform Creative. I was overwhelmed with there portfolio and there mind frame on the industry inspired me to contact them for some advice and maybe a portfolio visit. As the weeks passed, I was unfortunate to hear from Reform until a couple of days ago, Paul Heaton, the creative director, e mailed me saying I was welcome to come along for a quick chat. As I googled mapped the Reform for the location and route, I was slightly confused as I was getting two different addresses. Reform had recently moved locations as the original studio was unfortunately in a fire around two years ago. After doing some research, I noticed they had now gone back to the original location.

As I arrived, I was welcomed in and asked I wanted some refreshments. As I waited for Paul, I looked around the room to find the work I had seen on the website. I also noticed some awards, which was nice. As Paul sat down next to me, I began to talk through my portfolio as he looked through each piece of work. I began to talk about the process on each piece and what journeys I had made throughout each brief. As we discussed, Paul told me some really useful advice regarding presentation, concept and functionality on each piece. It was definitely rewarding to hear.

As we came to the end of the portfolio, we discussed the industry and what ways to stand out, get the best out of yourself and enjoying your work. Paul related to my journeys in finding an outcome in a brief. He explained one brief he had in the past was to produce some stationary for a joiner. He had come to an agreement where Reform could do what they wanted, and they would not charge a single penny. Paul explained that all though they didn’t make any money from the project, it was an opportunity to enter some functional client work in competitions. He said the journey process was hard but from the starting point to the finishing line, all the hard work was worth it and the learning the team had gained from it was worth more than being paid.

I decided to ask Paul how long Reform would normally spend on competition work as there busy schedule on client work would interfere. He explained in some cases competitions can be as important as client work because when the more awards on show, this gives the client confidence you are well equipped and producing something good for them. Paul did however state the client should always be regarded as the most important asset.

No comments: