Wednesday 3 June 2009

Screen Printing





This past week, I had made a couple of typography designs of sayings, which I recorded from friends and family members that made me laugh. As I was eager to explore screen-printing, I was able to spend all day this past week in the print room at university. My overall thoughts throughout the process were enjoyable, I felt the length of time, cleaning the silkscreen repeatedly, and mixing the paint was definitely rewarding. I decided to make one or two try out versions for myself to get a good idea on the screen printing method.

Choosing the right colours was vital, as my t-shirts were black, grey and a pale blue. From my try out versions, I noticed white ink was not strong against the black t-shirt. I was advised to use silver foil. To do this, I screen printed a special type of glue on the t-shirt and placed a foil piece of paper which then ran through on the heat press machine. My results were great and I enjoyed screen-printing very much. I will definitely use this method for a design purpose in the near future.

No comments: