Friday 23 April 2010

Dave Sedgwick





Today I made a visit to Dave Sedgwick at design agency 999. I was looking forward to his opinion on my work as I had made a great deal of changes towards my portfolio. As I arrived, we instantly began to discuss my work and the areas which Dave felt needed improvement. As I presented the Ringo Starr piece, Dave felt the colours and shape of the portrait was strong and vibrant. One change I had made for this visit was documenting my creative process of the oil print and showing this in the portfolio spread. This helped greatly as Dave fully understood the process within the design. He suggested that to take the project further, I should think about making three other prints involving the other band members of the Beatles to make a strong advertising campaign.

As we discussed the Guggenheim end sting, Dave felt the flicker book was a great way of communicating the idea. One project I had worked on over the Easter holidays was the New York Bowling logo completed last year within a group. As each member was eligible to take the brief further in our own way, I had produced some guerrilla advertising involving a bus stop creating a campaign with the logo. Dave felt the idea was fun but asked if their was many bus stops in New York. He then suggested that I may think about using the idea in the Subway. We discussed the one minute briefs and the new Ping Pong packaging I had done recently. He felt the art work was neatly finished and felt the presentation was strong and professional. Dave did however question the use of lines on the box. He suggested that recording the movement of three different real life games with the movement of the ball then incorporate that within my design would show each piece of packaging have a different style representing a real life game.

As we moved on to the Metro project, I explained the creative process within my first idea to the finished entered in D&AD. After discussing some failed ideas and how I felt certain areas didn't work, he felt the illustrated arrows and the names of each destination worked best. Dave felt changing the type to a more illustrative style and reducing the amount of arrows may communicate the idea better. We moved on to the BBC project which I had also worked on during the Easter period. I had combined the two booklets together and made the document size A6 for the consumer to place in their back pocket so the booklet can be with them on the move. As I explained this to Dave, he fully approved the changes and felt the illustrations was a great way of designing the layout.

I was anticipating Dave's thoughts on my FMP and the stage with my advertising campaign. As I currently develop my ideas within the project, he felt I am worrying to much on how the posters look. He advised that I should stop trying new ideas and stick to my original plan of communication regarding a past idea I had moved on from and recently developed more of. As I shown Dave more development work, he was happy to see my thinking process and research I had explored. He advised that I should now concentrate on making the posters look strong and also think about making the project as big as I can. Designing a flyer, shopping bag and signage were some of the things Dave suggested I should explore. As the visit came to an end, Dave was eager for me to send my finished ideas in the future.

No comments: