Saturday 6 March 2010

The Daily Mirror - James Sheridan






Over the past few months, I have been in contact with designer James Sheridan from the Daily Mirror for advice on some ideas regarding the Metro project. James had become a great help and while explaining my plans to visit London, he was happy to arrange a visit for me to show my portfolio and get his thoughts of my ideas. As I arrived at the huge One Canada Square offices located very close the the O2 Arena, I was surprised to see how busy London actually was. While waiting for James in the reception area, I could not help but stare at the coming and goings of all the workers passing through. As James arrived, fellow designer Chase decided to come along for his input. James felt it was a better idea for us to go in a bar across the road as the office was not in a great state.

As we talked about James and Chases job description, it seemed they explored in all different areas of design as campaigns to clients, producing supplements in the newspaper and pitching ideas to other design agencies was just some of the tasks James and Chase took on every day. As we talked about the industry, James said that the first few years after graduating is not financially rewarding as the pay is low but if you have the passion and hunger to do well, you will find something within the industry and be happy no matter what salary you receive. As we talked through my work, Chase felt the Ringo Starr poster was different and rewarding to see as most projects are produced on screen. The Guggenheim flip book was once again a quick way from the story bored on how the idea was communicated in my portfolio. They both felt the idea was clever and the flip book helped greatly.

As I passed through each slide of work, both James and Chase made some great suggestions on what areas to improve on. As I asked what direction to take the Harvey Nichols tea box regarding rebuilding the item for better photography, James explained that their is little point as the idea is quickly communicated already. We talked about the Metro work for a while and I felt positive with both James and Chases input. As I left some work with them while getting some drinks at the bar, I was unable to talk through the rest of my work as they looked through each slide slowly. As I arrived back, James explained that he felt my portfolio was very strong and was by far one of the best they had seen for sometime. Chase said he was surprised to see work for the BBC, Manchester City Council and Metro etc and it was different than most portfolios.

As we had around ten minutes left, I decide to show some FMP logo work and ideas I had been working on that weekend after Brian Finche's feedback from Manchester United. They both felt my ideas was going in the right direction and felt exploring the difference of how football is now and what it use to represent was important. After discussing some ideas, I have some more positive directions to take with my FMP project. As I thanked them both for their time, James said I was welcome to have a weeks placement when it suited me. It felt great to have this opportunity and I plan to arrange some dates before my graduation.

No comments: