Thursday 4 March 2010

Hat Trick Group Visit





Our tutors arranged a number of small group visits with design agencies in London and I was lucky to see Hat Trick. Myself, Jack Fowler and Jordan Harrison arrived at the studio with our portfolios in anticipation on their feedback on our work and for us to explore the studio after some research on their recent projects and completed work. As we walked up to the fourth floor, I remember questioning who all the other design firms were also located in the same building. As we sat down in a large office, We were greeted by designer Alexandra Jurva. She was slightly rushed as the day was very busy in the studio and explained that a major deadline was due.


As we sat down, myself, Jordan and Jack asked some questions regarding the first steps when leaving university. Alexandra explained during your study time, it is vital to gain extra experience within the industry and to do this, getting placements is a perfect way of getting a better understanding of the working studio. I asked what her situation was when looking for a job and she explained that she was very lucky when getting a job. I was beginning to get slightly frustrated with this answer as everyone I seemed to ask recently, the answer I was getting was they were lucky. As I said this to Alexandra, she did explain that determination and passion will definitely get you a job. Sometimes, she said that luck is something everyone needs but if the efforts and willing to do well is still inside you after six months, you will definitely land a role within an agency.


I understood Alexandra's comments but felt having an impression of a guaranteed job when graduating was slightly wrong. I do believe I will find a job within the industry but I also understand it will not come when I want it to. We began to discuss Hat Tricks work and some of the major clients they had worked for. I was overwhelmed with the delicacy and precise typography of the designs that Hat Trick had done. Some of the clients involved The History Museum, The British Heart Foundation and Royal Mail. I was aware the work was incredibly strong but being able to physically touch and feel the printed versions was a real treat.

No comments: