Saturday 6 March 2010

Studio Special Design - David Lovelock





While in London, I was lucky to arrange a portfolio visit with a design agency called Studio Special Design. I had previously e - mailed a number of agencies in London but similar to my class mates, I was finding it hard to get a positive response. After some more research, I decided to call creative director of Studio Special David Lovelock, who created the company in 2006. After a number of conversations arranging a time, David was happy to see my work. I was unsure what to expect when arriving at the location as the office was on the 3rd floor of a small building. As I arrived, David welcomed me in the studio and we began to talk about the industry and what type of design ethic Studio Special represented. I began to talk through my work positively with a calm manner. I was concerned once again my Ringo Starr piece maybe looking like a Photoshop project, I asked David if he felt it would be a good idea to show the communication of how the print was produced to place some images presented similar to a small story bored. He agreed and said the idea is unique and creative.

As I explained my Guggenheim end sting, he felt the flip book was a great way from taking the idea from the story bored to a physical format for people to enjoy. He explained that having small things what people can touch, play with or feel within a designers work is a key element when standing out in the crowed. David felt the tea box work was well executed but better photography would be a small area to improve. We talked a great deal about the Metro brief and what areas to think of regarding my current ideas. As I moved on the magazine spread, he quietly laughed and commented on the presentation of my work. He had previously seen some portfolios from three fellow class mates the previous evening and recognised the life service images in my work. I felt slightly frustrated about this and David explained being different is key. He felt the use of life service was a good idea but think about how it effects your work with positioning and quality. He pointed out the small difference in each spread regarding the position of each article and I noticed the difference myself.

We began to talk about the tolerance project and what areas to improve on regarding communication as I felt was still not fully corrected. As David had a good idea about the project after going through Kat's work the night before, he explained that maybe concentrating on other areas within tolerance but within the same idea may work better. We discussed various ideas for sometime and I felt motivated some great directions to take toe project with Kat. The BBC booklets was fun to talk through as David enjoyed the illustrated layouts and colour. He agreed when I explained my plans of changing the scale to an A6 format may work better for the consumer.

As we came to the Contact work, I asked what direction he would take to improving the poster and logo. He advised that using the small symbols to a more expanded area like a larger scale would be positive. David felt the poster represented a musical theme more than a theatre identity so taking a few objects out and replacing them with more drawings from a varied background of what Contact represented would work. After a good two hours of talking about my work, he asked what my plans are in the future and I should stay in touch. I plan to keep him up to date with current work for my FMP and look forward to his feedback on the different ideas I have.

No comments: