Friday 6 November 2009

Craig Oldham - Design Symposium 2009



While at the design symposium, D&AD held portfolio surgeries where you could take your work and have it looked at by top professionals. As you had to register in advance, I was given my slot for the afternoon ironically with Craig Oldham who I had previously interviewed a couple of weeks ago regarding the creative process. I felt this was a great opportunity as I new Craig better than the other designers, which made me, feel comfortable discussing my work. Craig made some useful pointers regarding the work I have now and what I could do with it.

He advised on pushing the brief so far it exceeds expectation. Delivering more than what the brief is asking for can only work in your favour and make a nice piece of work fit nicely in my portfolio. He also said my work was at a good standard and would prefer to touch on the issues where I can learn to improve on. He said that the level of advice he was giving me was far from what he was giving to the other students because my level of work was higher than normal. This obviously made feel great, especially coming from someone I look up to like Craig.

He also pointed out my presentation within my portfolio when I asked what he liked and disliked about my design layout and content. He advised that having just one project with a lot of work could be an option but every designer should use what feels right. If you have done a great piece of work but feel unmotivated by it or dislike it, then don’t have it in your portfolio. He explained talking about your work is vital on interviews as it shows a motivational expression and true feeling towards your work.

No comments: