Friday 6 November 2009

Michael Wolf - Design Symposium 2009



The major event of the symposium was the Michael Wolf lecture. I had paid £8 for a ticket and I feel it was well worth it. As I entered the lecture theatre, I briskly walked past Michael as he sat in anticipation to be called up on the stage to start his talk. As I quickly found my seat, I was amazed how many people attended the talk. The room was full and people at the top of the room was standing or kneeling down. As Michael began to talk, I instantly got the impression this man was not just your normal, everyday designer. With his pink scarf wrapped around his neck, he spoke with a pronunciation so fine, listening was to him was an easy sound. He began by explaining his background and how he quickly gave up arc texture in the early 20's (or in his words ''got chucked out") and then began to design magazine covers for various publishers. He spoke about how he was sacked twelve times in his carrier and how you feel excited about being a designer.


Being motivated is a key element for a designer in any space of time as it brings the best qualities in to your work. He was very motivational as ''I don’t like it'' or ''I can’t do it'' should be ignored and aim your focus to do everything possible to get it right. Michael looked up greatly to Paul Rand and explained ‘‘if my work looked like my hero's, I thought I done a good job''. I myself feel proud when my work is to a standard to the high-class designers but very concerned if an idea is similar. Michael also made reference to how designers think. He touched on why and how a bear ended up on the Fox's Glair logo. He explained that we challenge the formula of thinking about design. Being honest and speaking from the heart will get you the best responses. Michael talked about how beneficial being you and being real towards getting a job not just in the design community, but also in all aspects of life. Regarding portfolio's, he said we should all think about them as presentations/illustration of who you are as a designer, but also as a person.

A few areas Michael spoke about was understanding what turns you on as a designer and implying it to your work so others can be turned on to. Using your interests and using your imagination to solve a brief will help the viewer indulge in your idea. Not taking no for an answer being confident within yourself and your work will guide you through the design world and steady your carrier. Overall, I felt the talk was fantastic. I was lucky to ask personally ask Michael a question at the end of his talk. I asked what he felt the difference in opportunities of graduates getting a job today in comparison to twenty years ago. He believes the industry has more choices and open doors than ever before even in the recession. He explained that most people could freelance or start a small agency from home, as the technology today is amazing. I enjoyed the talk greatly and will always remember the lecture with Michal Wolf.

No comments: