Thursday 11 February 2010

National Football Museum - Preston









Today I decided to visit the National Football Museum in Preston for a better understanding of what my FMP will be focused on. As I arrived outside the museum, I was overwhelmed with the statue of former footballer Sir Tom Finney called The Splash. It was based on a photograph of Finney performing a sliding tackle on a waterlogged pitch in the early 50's. I was beginning to understand the historical content football had and was understanding my brief more. As I viewed the exhibition of world football on the bottom floor, I was fascinated with the memorabilia of the past events which makes the sport the most popular attraction in the world today. I noticed the passion and emotions the sport brings and capturing the history of the World Cup, the career of George Best and the dominance of Liverpool in the 80's made me think of how different the game is today which sparked off yet more ideas.


The visit has opened my thinking towards the brief and viewing the historical elements of world football has given me a great understanding of the subject matter. I also noticed how important the identity will be as applying the logo on the descriptive information, the stationary and the merchandise is key. As the museum is part of Preston North End's stadium Deep Dale, it seemed their was an affiliation with both parties as on the second floor, an exhibition called Local Hero, celebrated Sir Tom FInney's footballing carrier. I also noticed a wall with written requests from past visitors pleading for the museum to stay in Preston. I got the impression this subject is not to be taken lightly.

No comments: