Tuesday 23 February 2010

Pinpoint - Caroline Elder


While in Edinburgh, I also managed to get a visit with design studio Pinpoint. As I arrived, I was unsure what to expect, as the location was very small. As I introduced myself, Caroline Elder who greeted me was slightly confused who I was. I gathered I was unexpected as the visit was arranged with another designer who was on holiday. As I prepared to thank Caroline for her time, she was happy to talk with me about my work and advise me on whatever she felt I needed to know within the industry. As I began to open my portfolio, Caroline asked what type of designer I was. Looking back, I had never been asked such a question but I felt it was important to know what field of design you enjoy or wish to discover more of. I explained that I feel passionate about all areas of graphic design and fully appreciate typography and editorial layouts. I also explained that I was still discovering what type of designer I was.

As I discussed my work, I could see Caroline was impressed with my exploration of ideas and what methods I had explored. As I discussed my Ringo Starr piece, I explained the methods and journey I had made regarding the piece being an oil print. She agreed when I suggested if it might communicate better if I had some images of me making the piece physically. As I talked about the Guggenheim end sting, I felt the idea was not being communicated to the best capabilities. Caroline advised that having the work applied only on a story bored might be the reason for this. Similar to what Stephen Owen had suggested, having a flipbook and video clip on a memory stick will always help the communication and understanding of the idea.

As we reached the editorial spread for the Drink Local, Think Global design, I was looking forward to her opinion as the agency focused on designing magazines and spreads with very tight deadlines. She felt the first spread worked better as the information was clear and the illustrations indicated what the article was about. She felt the second spread with the drips was well executed but didn’t have much relation to the first. As we discussed each piece of work with great detail, similar to Simon from my earlier visit, Caroline was able to understand my ideas and appreciated my thinking.

As I explained the BBC work, once again I was looking forward to her feedback due to it being an editorial piece. She explained that reducing the two handouts to one and taking the size down to a pocket sized booklet may be better as the consumer would then be able to take it with them on their travels. As we reached the end of my portfolio, Caroline asked for my details and explained she will be forwarding them to other agencies. She also asked my plans after graduation and I explained I was open to suggestions. I have been invited back for another visit and a possible job/placement, which is very rewarding.

No comments: