Thursday 12 March 2009

Cube Photography Show



Around January, the photography degree department announced they would be holding an exhibition called Cube and would show all the photography students work. They wanted second year students from the graphics degree to volunteer on creating the identity for the project. They wanted a flyer, website, poster, invites, a booklet and a banner all displaying the identity of Cube. As this was a paid brief, none of the work would contribute to my degree mark but I felt this was a great opportunity to do something, which involved a real life client. The brief didn’t really explain much. It had the requirement of applications, the name of the brief and very little details on what you ad to the design. For example, the dates, location, time and general information regarding the event were left out. This was challenging for myself as when approaching the booklet, I felt lost in what content I could put in there. I decided to play around with some ideas and finally used fine photography with Helvetica bold for my type.

The deadline was originally two weeks after receiving the brief but was pushed a week further for time to organize a presentation to the degree students. Around seven students volunteered for the brief and we had fifteen-minute time slots to present our ideas. My first impression of how it may turn out was myself talking through my work in front of around five people in all. I arrived a couple of minutes before my slot and was welcomed in the room. To my surprise, around twenty people, some students and some tutors, was in attendance. This was in some way a shock as my preparation was nothing towards that number. I sat down and introduced myself explaining my idea. After the pitch, I asked for any questions. One person questioned the print costs, which was hard to answer due to the brief being so minimal.

After the presentation, I felt relieved but slightly disappointed. I felt in them small fifteen minutes, I learnt something about myself a great deal. My feelings towards my performance throughout the brief were minimal. I questioned my abilities and also the work I had done. Was it good enough, did I do a good pitch, did the idea work. I was slightly disappointed within myself but overall, I was happy to volunteer due to the amount I learnt. Being prepared, having organization and presenting correctly are vital towards a client.

No comments: