Wednesday 22 April 2009

Music









Over the Easter holidays, I was lucky to arrange a portfolio visit with graphic design agency Music. One of Music’s head designers, Anthony Smith had recently held a lecture, which I was lucky to attend. After the talk, I managed to have a brief chat with Anthony and get to know him on a personal level very slightly so contacting him after this was easy. Around the start of April, I emailed Music asking for some images supporting my post for the blog and also inquiring the possibilities of a portfolio visit in the near future. Anthony replied very quickly, not just with the images I asked for, but agreeing a visit. I replied thanking him for the images and explained my free time for the next two weeks.

My visit had recently passed and I found it most useful. I had spoken to some classmates who had previously visited the studio the past week so getting to the location was easy. As I walked down Oldham Rd, I made my turn to the studio. The surroundings didn’t look like a place for a graphic studio but after locating the site on Google map, I new I was at the right place. As I pressed the buzzer and explained my presence, I was sent up. As I waked up the stairs, a number of last minute thoughts were going through my mind. What questions to ask, what if Anthony doesn’t like my work and how do I put myself across the right way.

I walked through the door to be introduced by Matt, one of the founders of Music. Anthony then appeared asking how I was finding the studio. I suddenly felt very comfortable and sat down patiently waiting for my talk with Anthony to start (I was slightly early). He asked if I wanted anything to eat or drink and we began to have a general talk about the industry and my work. Anthony started to look through my portfolio at quite a slow pace asking questions on why, what and how I did my designs. He also commented on the use of a small book I had as containing my work. I asked what he thought would be best regarding the presentation of a portfolio. He explained a useful layout stating the brief and solution with the work is always a good technique to use as it helps the person understand the concept of the work.

From there, Anthony began to ask me some questions regarding my future plans in the industry and what type of design studio I would want to work for. I had never really thought about this until now in all honesty. I said working for an agency with freedom of design would be a preferred choice as you then would not be restricted with the rules of what the client sets. He then advised me to design a portfolio targeting that area of design.

Overall, the visit lasted for around an hour. The studio was at a reasonable size and all the people were very friendly. I felt very grateful for Anthony’s time and the use of questioning his knowledge of the graphic industry was so rewarding. As the talk became to a finish, Anthony asked me to stay in touch and if had any work he wanted me to look over, I should send it him via e – mail. I thanked him and the rest of the team and left. I felt great and motivated after the talk and the use of seeing a studio and a designer on a one to one basis is greatly useful.

No comments: